Tuesday 17 July 2018

This and that

July 10:
Tomorrow is IKEA arrival day - it will be great to have the furniture and of course it will be exhausting to put it all together!

Today was a sad day...I'm not sure why, but it could be due to missing friends and familiar faces, not knowing German and feeling helpless to communicate, not having much to do other than a grocery shopping trip every day, not feeling settled while we wait for our residency cards to arrive.....maybe that has something to do with it!

4 trips to the Handy Shop: yup, it took 4 trips to finally get signed up for our cell phones. Things don't move fast in Switzerland and they definitely follow the rules. But we now have our own cell phones that are not dependent on wifi and now I feel liek we can communicate much more easily!

Home-run dinner: cheese fondue, vegetables au gratin, and nectarine topped puff pastry for dessert. Phew - I am trying to experiment with local food, recipes that will work in the CombiSteam funky oven and recipes that will keep my crew happy!

Shannon visited a barn: I learned how to understand “please close the door/gate” but don't expect me to say it!

Remote bidet will help cut down on toilet paper costs - that's a plus! Toilet Paper and many other things are super expensive here!!!

Friday, July 6: Ah, the furniture is great! it feels fabulous to have a ginormous couch inside, and a lounging couch outside and a big table to eat at!! It is luxury!!!

Sunday, July 8:  Today we did a big Swiss hike. Murphy needed to recover for 2 full days; Sarah was almost unaffected,  Justin next, Shannon and I were the slowest and huffiest. We went unprepared into the mountains - 28 in Baar, but 19 in the mountain town. That was a good lesson to learn, and we are lucky that we could still hike. Next time: layers, rain layer, bug spray, tick remover.


Saturday July 14:
Into Zurich: I am blown away by how beautiful the city of Zurich is!! I had no idea that the lake would have such a presence and the waterway provides beauty as well as refreshing relief.

We had the best gelato here in Zurich!!

Dinner at a little Mexicans restaurant in a fun neighbourhood after our “appetizer”  of Sausage and Brote!! Fabulous

Sunday July 15: drive to a Swiss national park about 2 hrs away. The drive was scary and fabulously gorgeous!! The hike was a beautiful mountain hike but the real show stopper was the drive!! Thank goodness Justin was driving through the incredibly tight hairpin turns!!! I can't believe how many hardcore bicyclists were riding UP and DOWN those hills, sharing the tight roads over which I couldn't even look without feeling woozy due to the height!!! It was 15C when we started out hike, and maybe got a bit warmer, but nowhere close to the heat of 31C back in Baar! Ah the mountain elevation keeps things cooler! We didn't know that dogs are strictly prohibited in the Swiss National Parks, so Murphy had to stay in the car for the duration of our hike, but at 15C we didn't have to worry that it would be too hot. He was happy and comfortable while we were gone.

Tuesday, July 17:
 The girls and I are spending A LOT of time together and I am sure that they would rather have people their own age to hang out with!! They each have met their "ambassador" friend, a girl from their grade that is "assigned" to them. Sarah got a 2 for 1 since her ambassador has a twin sister. And I lucked out because they have a dog and the Mom took me on two dog walks to show me the ropes and the routes. That family is now back in the US on holiday. Our landlord and his family are super nice and generous and kind. They live above us, and they have a daughter that is 13 years old. She and Sarah seem to get along well and they have hung out a couple times. I am pushing Sarah to plan something with her this week, and I'm pushing Shannon to plan something with her ambassador friend for this week too. They are both spending WAY too much time on their devices, in my opinion, but it's hard to argue and stir the pot when they are so new to the area and I really don't want to drive a wedge between us with my nagging. . So I try to plan an outing each day and at least get them outside for that.   They miss friends at home, of course, and I cannot blame them for that. Maybe tomorrow afternoon will be a movie afternoon!

There is an outdoor gym, of sorts, that Sarah and I have been visiting. It's pretty cool - 15 fitness stations spread across 2.6 km in the forest that is only a 15 minute walk away!!  Unfortunately for me, it is in the forest and Murphy returned home today with at least 2 ticks. Ticks are a real problem here in this area of Switzerland. I should say that he returned with AT LEAST 2 ticks....those 2 are gone now, and I checked him over as best I could, but finding tiny black insects on a black hairy beast is challenging!

Our apartment is great. It is in an amazing location geographically, and with our furniture now here, we have comfy places for us all to lounge together, or separately! The girls will each benefit from a chair in their room so they can hang out somewhere else, but that will come when Justin finally earns some Swiss Francs! Justin came home for lunch yesterday, for the first time in 18 years!!! Work is demanding for him, but he has been able to ride his bicycle to work, and we go hiking on the weekends, so he seems to be having an ok balance. It doesn't feel like home yet. The container with the rest of our stuff should arrive by the end of the month, and then we'll have some of the luxuries: blankets, duvets and bedding, a few more clothes, towels and beach towels. THAT will be nice! Luckily, everyone we have met has been super nice , very welcoming, and kind. 

 We are planning a trip for this weekend to possibly go to Geneva for an overnight. Whether we do that now or another time, will be fun either way.

I'm feeling very homesick right now....I have to get learning German and maybe then I will feel more able to understand people and more able to converse... Add to that the fact that the girls and I are spending A LOT of time together and it's no surprise we are a little stir crazy!!! Sarah and I went to the village library yesterday and got ourselves a library card and a couple Learn German books. That should help!!
I have been trying out the new ovens and they are very cool -one is called the Combi Steam and it is probably way more amazing than I already think it is!!! It can cook with steam, partial steam and convection. So far I have only used recipes from the cookbook that came with the oven (that I found in English online- what did we do before Google and the web!??!)  but eventually I will branch out. So far I have done a cool baked cheese (basically a mini fondue), a vegetable gratin (that the whole family loved!), a pasta gratin (yes, with dried ham because that's what they use instead of bacon), a super moist but crispy marinated chicken skewers, and tonight is a risotto....the family thinks I am a superb chef since arriving in Switzerland!!! ha! Wait till the thrill wears off and I'm back to my horrible cooking! 

Thank goodness for the hiking and the VItaParcours!!! I will eat my share of chocolate and cheese and drink the Swiss wine (I am trying all the $6 wines and I'm not disappointed yet!) and then my exercise regime will be just to keep me even (hopefully)!!!

That's it from me...time to pay bills and tidy up the place, get the shopping done for today and try to get the girls out of the house and off their devices!



2 comments:

  1. So glad you are blogging!! Sounds like ups and downs but an outing every day is a great idea!!
    Love all the hiking you have been doing! Must be some amazing sights.
    What a cool idea that the girls have ambassadors. Obviously they speak English? Have other people that have moved there said how long it took to start speaking German?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough to say how long it will take to learn German - obviously they would learn it faster if they were immersed in it, but they will go to school in English and take lessons during the school day. It will be interesting to see how fast their german comes along once they are in school!! The ambassadors are from all over - the girls' ambassadors each speak English as their Mother Tongue so there were no language barriers.

      Delete