Wednesday 15 January 2020

Small Victories!

Christa: +1 point for trying to speak German!

Laugh as you may, I consider it a victory when I speak German and someone understands me !! You see, I have been told (and I readily admit it is true) that I speak German with an Italian accent. Yup, not much Italian in my blood, but apparently it comes out in my German speaking.
So here's what happened....I went to a wool store in Lucerne to buy some wool to knit Sarah a sweater. I saw that there wasn't enough in the colour I wanted, so I was almost out the door when the store owner asked (in German) if she could help me. I said (in German) that I would like a total of 6 balls of the wool, and she said something back....So I did what I normally do: I stood in silence, smiling, trying to figure out what the heck she was saying. I stood long enough that she placed a couple phone calls and I **THINK** she said that the wool would be in her store within a few days. She took my name and phone number and I **THINK** she said that she would text me when the wool comes in. Fast forward 2 weeks and I have heard nothing. I tried calling twice but couldn't get through, and the message on the machine was in Swiss German, so goodness knows what that said!

Here's the victory: I just hung up the phone now and I spoke with the storeowner and she has my wool!! YAY!!! 

Small victories - take them when you can!


No comments:

Post a Comment